Friday, April 30, 2010

Book Ends Book Club


My kids participate in a kids' book club, hosted by my awesome friend, Cindy Scott... This club has become one of my favorite things about our homeschooling year. It had kids ranging in age from 3-13, and we try to keep the books on about a 4th-6th grade reading level. Eli or I read the book aloud, for our little ones who can't read yet. We meet at the beginning off the year, and then again in January, after the holidays, so each family can pick a book. Every 2 weeks from there, we read a new book, then meet at Cindy's to have a fun discussion, games related to the book and treats. I always have great intentions to keep up with reading my kids good classic books, but book club has really helped me make sure I am reading on schedule. Deadlines are great motivators :) Book club is being wrapped up for the year, with Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon and Dean Hale, being the final book. My favorite book we read this year was Charlotte's Web by E.B White. The book by far, blows all the movies away. Linden and I actually cried as we finished it. All the kids were really touched by Charlotte's death. Other books from this year are:

The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling
Jess by Mary Casanova
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamillo
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
The Holly Joliday by Megan McDonald
Dragon of the Red Dawn by Mary Pope Osborne


No comments:

Post a Comment