Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cha cha cha changes...

Well Eli has officially decided the career on an R.N is not for him. I am totally happy about this, because for the past 2 years, I have had a husband who cannot make it home in time to eat dinner with us, and barely makes it home before the kids go to sleep.. He arrives home at around 8:30 every night and I hate it!! I know lots of people and their husbands' have careers that bring them home late at night, but I don't think I can deal with it for years to come. As our kids are homeschoolers, I need some relief around 6pm or so.. I think this is a good traditional, husband intervening time. I have been repeating in my mind for these past 2 years "I will get used to this! Lots of people have lives like this" Hoping this mantra with change my mind and feelings about our lack of Eli on his work days. And on his end, he works in the IMCU at the hospital, so things are always busy and stressful, he never has time to take a lunch break in his 13 hour day, or even just sit down. He is utterly spent by the time he gets home and just needs to crash.. I know I should be grateful that he has a good job, and I am.. but now, I'd like my husband back. So Eli has decided that he wants to go back to school for something unrelated to the medical profession. We are still discussing this, but as we both agree on the crapiness of schedule, I'm sure some big changes are in store for us. I just hope our mortgage cooperates with these new 'going back to school' revisions in our life :)

7 comments:

  1. I sad he won't be a nurse anymore, but happy you are together in this decision. Has he thought about CRNA school? The CRNAs I work with work 7-3 and make REALLY good money. Anyway, just a thought. I'm excited to hear what he chooses and glad your pregnancy is going better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He originally thought about that, but we found out during the 3 years of school, they won't allow you to work.. So I don't think we could do that now. The bad thing is, we can't go back to living on student loans in an apartment..we have to maintain our current income.. The hospital schedule has just proven to be not accommodating at all to our family life :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, you guys are doing lots of changes all at once! Being TOTALLY selfish I'm going to say to pick something for Eli that keeps you close. I just got to know ya...you can't move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to find your blog through facebook. WOW! Big decisions. I'd recommend dental - but they don't let you work either. You could move in with Patty & Rick & let Eli commute to Houston;) GOod luck! I'm anxious to hear what you guys decide!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a big decision! With HFD it's quite similar with the 24 hour shifts. I too must have kids in bed at 7 to get some personal down time! YIKES! I'm excited to move closer to you guys- sad we won't be in the same ward though; I miss your family! Good Luck with your decision! Congrats on the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Eli thinks he is going to go back to get his masters to be a nursing director, hospital administrator, or something similar.. good money, off at 4 and he wont have to wear scrubs :) We have been looking at lots of other careers, but it will be so easier for him to continue with his nursing... his hospital will pay for everything, so thats nice too :) I hate to look so wishy washy!! But those masters nursing options are different enough from an R.N's job.. He also has a business he wants to get started soon.. Tonia, we will never move!!! I will NOT leave my homeschool network and I love my house :)And Robin, I am so happy we are closer too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I am back home and finally able to take a peek at the computer. I am very thankful for nurses since my latest ordeal :). I can see how over worked they are! It would be a fairly easy transition to go for hospital admin or something in the business side of the medical field. If you ever wants to know more about hospital admin, one of our previous bishops was a hospital administrator in New Mexico. We still keep in touch, he is over the Clovis, New Mexico hospital now. Best of luck with the career change, and I can't wait to be healed up enough to get out and do stuff.

    ReplyDelete